Sunday 23 September 2012

Last tutorials for M338 and M336

Yesterday I had a tutorial for both of my courses in Leeds.
That bloody city! It has taken me years, literally, to chart a course to Leeds Met for my tutorials, without getting stuck on one-way roads taking me in the wrong direction, getting lost, or any other mishaps that only ever happen to me in Leeds. Once I even gave up trying to get there, rang my wife (or girlfriend as she was), ranted, and drove back home!
But finally, now, I've worked it out. I intentionally make a mistake somewhere along the way so I end up missing the university, then when I find myself driving up a long dual carriageway past The Library pub, I turn back on myself and follow the road back down, and veer to the left. That way, I always make it to the multi-storey across the road from the university. Easy.
Yesterday, the multi-storey was closed. And all the other parking anywhere nearby is pay and display, which is not that useful when you only bring your card to pay at the machine in the multi-storey. As well, the road that not getting into the carpark sent me down ushered me back toward the motorway, which is really not what I needed. I pulled a U-ey.
In the end I was parked in a random (but legitimate looking) break in the double yellow lines way up past The Library, near to a travelling fairground that was just setting up.
The fifteen minute hike back to the university was boring and hot, but I made it, albeit late.
Nevermind. So my M338 tutor had organised to have the whole day there, from 10:30 to sometime in the afternoon. But my M336 tutorial was at 13:30, so I could only stay until the break we had at about quarter past one. I love topology, more than groups and geometry, and I would have happily stayed there longer. But I had, for various reasons, never made it to an M336 tutorial, and thought it would also be nice to actually see my tutor, what with this being the last one.
It was a tiring day, but definitely worth it I think. For two main reasons 1) we worked on one of the past papers for topology, and having not looked at any of them yet, I was pleasantly surprised by it (then again, with a topology tutor who actually researches the subject in his day job doing the questions on the board, it's always going to go well), and 2) my groups and geometry tutor said she received my assignment. She couldn't remember exactly, but thought I got 80-something. It's certainly lower than the rest of my marks, but enough to average over 90 before even the substitution rule. She thinks the person who I handed my assignment to was probably her son after all. So, for once, I am worry free on the TMA front. Though I still want to receive it back, to be sure.

Neil H

No comments:

Post a Comment