Sunday 22 April 2012

Well, I got my assignments back over the last few days, and I'm really happy with the outcome.

I dropped one point on the M336 TMA, which is actually rather annoying, because I just didn't copy out the whole of an answer from my rough version. It was a question asking what transformation you need to do to move one of the 'motifs' on a freize pattern, onto another. The answer, remaining as vague as feasible, was in two parts: the type of transformation and the point about which you apply it. When I copied out my answer (and I did have it on my draft, because I dug out the sheets to check and lo, the full answer was there), I seem to have stopped the sentence short without fully explaining the point where to apply it. I don't begrudge this costing a mark, because I accept it being a vital bit of information. Just annoyed at myself is all. Though what can you really expect, with the last-minute panic to finish, the all-nighters, and all the other (admittedly self-induced) obstacles. Rather, it's surprising I only dropped one point.

My tutor was very kind in her comments, and gave me some useful advice on what to put more effort into in that block, &ct. I've not met her yet, because I was too busy working on catching up with the material, that I had to skip the tutorial last month. Actually, I had to miss the tutorial for both courses as they were on the same day (they were, however, at different times, which was nice as it meant we can go to both). It was a shame to miss the tutorials, as I do like to go, even if it is a bit of a trek to Leeds, and the fact that I can never find Leeds Metropolitan University when I get there. The problem was, no matter how useful they would be, the 7 hours I spent going to them would not get me any further through the study materials, which was my main concern at the time.

As for M338, well, it was nowhere near as bad as I expected, in fact, I just about pipped into the 80s! Not quite distinction territory, but easily high enough to put me in a good mood all day after I opened the envelope (...Kim opened it actually, as I usually make her check the results, when I'm worried about it). I tend to expect the worst about most things, but this time, I really went overboard! I mean, I was even trying to work out what I needed to do, to make up for it, if I only got 50!

In his comments, my tutor said it is a really tough TMA and that I should be pleased with myself for doing as well as I did. Of course, it's his job to encourage, but regardless of motivation, it made me feel good about myself. I kind of figured, if I managed to do okay under the conditions I was in at the time, I can assume that I might have done very well otherwise. Either way, he did warn us back at the start of the course, that Block A is hardest, whereas Block B is easy, and Block C is just "hard."

For what it's worth, I'm really enjoying the surfaces unit, B1. In fact, I will hopefully get through most of the last part this afternoon/evening. It certainly is a chance to breathe after the ultra-dense Block A. In fact, I am going to go and work on it now. I've already spent enough of the day watching snooker, reading (Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke - very cool), and general pottering around on the Internet. It's time to get productive, I reckon.

By the way, for anyone that didn't catch it, Dara O'Briain's School of Hard Sums, that I mentioned last time, was fairly entertaining. Not ground-breaking TV or anything, but hey, it was worthy enough of watching again tomorrow at least. Warning though, the puzzles aren't particularly hard (and I mean, for "normal" people as well as us mathsy types), but titling inaccuracies aside, it was an enjoyable enough 40 minutes, and I have little else on at eight on a Monday.

3 comments:

  1. Well done mate glad that the marks for M338 were better than you expected. I'm still waiting mine. According to one of my mates who is being tutored for M208 by the same tutor I have for M388, it's taking him two hours per question per person to mark the scripts. So yes I'm prepared to accept that TMA02 for M338 is indeed hard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your marks, Neil! I got the same mark as you on M336...the TMA was an absolute breeze compared to the huge slog that was M338 TMA02. Q2 (iii) literally took me a month to come up with the answer; 2 weeks to to come with a strategy for answering it, and 2 weeks to actually get something down on paper that made mathematical sense. I was pleased to only drop a mark on that TMA as a whole, but only got the good results because I had spent so much time on the important questions...
    Block B is completely different though, and I think a hell of a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the comments Chris and Colin.
    And congratulations both, for your own results.
    By Q2 (iii), Colin, do you mean Q2 (b) (ii)? Well if so, that would be the one I left, and it certainly makes me feel better about the fact that I did. I'd been upset with myself for not working it out, but I am satisfied now that I had little hope of cracking it having only one hour or so left by that point.
    Anyway, thanks again guys. Hope you're still enjoying Block B. I certainly am, though I'm sure the difficulty must start ramping up soon (not that this is a problem, just as long as I have given myself enough time this time around)...

    ReplyDelete