Saturday 9 April 2011

It was worth it!

The weeks of catch up to make up my three week schedule deficit; the stresses of getting through the M381 TMA mentioned previously; the bashing my head against the wall to understand what the hell primitive recursion was; the all-nighter on Monday night to finish the M337 TMA*; not to mention the difficulty in fitting this around work (sure everyone does this, but it doesn't make it any easier)... it was worth it!

Distinction, in both cases! Woohoo.

This is a big deal to me. Bigger than in the previous courses, when to be honest, the first TMAs were usually a walk in the park. This time around, that certainly was not the case. I don't have a problem with hard assignments of course, but I like getting easy marks as much as the next guy!

As you may recall, I didn't think I had done so well in M381, but as it turned out, my result pipped the ninety mark. Unsurprisingly, my URM-related answers were awash with comments, but the bits around them on what the functions actually represent were okay. Overall, a great confidence boost for starters on Level 3.

My result in M337 was a bit lower, and only just got past the requisite 85 for distinction, but pass it did. There was no section where I did especially worse than others; my lost marks were spread almost uniformly throughout. It was the final question, on differentiation, partial derivatives and conformal functions which helped keep my mark up. Unexpected, considering I'd not got to conformality yet. I had already resigned myself to a very late night, so I didn't quite search just for the info needed. What I did was 'read' the final half of the unit rather than work through it. A big chunk, fortunately, was just the complex equivalent of the differentiation rules, composition et cetera.

I've been doing daily short translations recently. They are a section of the transcription of these daily press conferences the Chief Cabinet Secretary, Yukio Edano has been holding after the earthquake disaster and the trouble at the Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant. It's a nice regular job, but it is hard for me because of the 'talky' style.

Anyway, the press conferences have been cancelled this weekend. So for once, I am actually completely free! The good maths mood the TMA results have put me in should hopefully inspire me to get a lot of that done today and tomorrow. I'm still in the procrastination phase, but I'll get started soon. With some luck, I'll complete the catch-up process, as I'm still not quite there on either course. It should be do-able, but even if it's not, I'm nowhere near how far behind I was a month ago. I just need to keep it that way.

* It's been a bad week all in all for getting enough sleep. So I started with an all-nighter for work on Sunday night, getting to bed at 6am. This was followed by the TMA-related one, finishing at 7am. And then on Thursday night, I spent until 5am reading through Kim's dissertation, which I'd promised I would do on Thursday, but put off and put off because of work (which I didn't particularly want to do).

3 comments:

  1. well done mate thoroughly deserved I found myself in difficulty with TMA01 from M337 and still haven't quite got the continuity of Arg and why it's not continuous on the negative real axis. Still awaiting my mark

    Best wishes Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Chris

    That was certainly a tough TMA, wasn't it? I've also had various issues with with continuity of Arg and Log myself. Continuity has always been a problem for me; sure I'll "get it" one day though.

    Was glad to see on your blog that M208's proving to be a nice antidote to this course!

    Good luck!
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the assignment marks, Neil.
    If you're anything like me, they're what keep you going.
    Can I ask: what's the workload like with both level 3 courses combined? Say, in comparison to a single 60 pointer level 2 - ie M208?
    Are the required hours for 2 x 30pts at level 3 much more than 1 x 60pts at level 2?

    I'm putting in around 30 hours a week with my combination of MST209 and M248. Social life = halted. :-)

    Congrats also on the Leslie Walshaw award for M208 - excellent marks there. Mine were 91 OCAS, 90 exam and I don't think I could have done any better in the exam since I tend to write quite slowly (or is that think more slowly than others?)

    ReplyDelete